Make Your Own Maple Syrup This Summer!
The Deakins are developing a new, exciting product. Beginning this August, bed and breakfast guests at The Deakins on Mountainview can participate in a half-day workshop where they will immerse themselves in the life of a Canadian maple syrup farmer by participating in hands-on activities that end with the production of their own maple syrup. We are excited that this new, authentic maple experience will leave our guests with a lasting memory of their time in Canada and at The Deakins.
|Your syrup is ready!|
Workshop participants will learn:
Hands On Techniques
• Selection of healthy maple syrup trees
• Tree tapping practices
• Sap evaporation and syrup finishing
• Syrup filtration
• Syrup grading
• Packaging their own syrup
Values (as reflected in our Environmental Farm Plan and Forest Management Plan)
• Sustainability of the maple resource
• Responsible pest management
• Genetic integrity
• Forest growth management
Workshop Fees, Dates, Details
• $ 35 per person for Bed and Breakfast guests based on minimum of four participants
• $40 per person for non-guests based on minimum of four participants
• Every Tuesday in August by advanced booking via website CONTACT US tab or at
• All materials supplied by workshop leader
• Start time 9 a. m.
• 3 hours duration
• A typical boil will produce 250ml of quality syrup for each participant
Note: This workhop is not suitable for children under 12 years of age.
This workshop is suitable
• for the curious wanting to participate in a unique and satisfying activity and
• for those who may be interested in starting their own small scale maple syrup